Week 16


Good Morning,

Here is Taddy’s weekly update:

Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.

This past week has been quite a rollercoaster. David is finally feeling better, thank God. Although, David’s grandfather, Mr. Bob, was placed in the hospital on Friday. His appendix ruptured. The unfortunate thing is that it ruptured 9 days prior to his admittance to the hospital. He had surgery to remove the appendix, and they have been giving him lots of antibiotics to fight the infection that set in. I hope and pray he gets better soon.

I have noticed that Taddy seems to be moving further north toward my naval. He or she is a lot easier to find, especially at our last doctor’s appointment. We got to hear Taddy’s heartbeat, they took my blood pressure, weight, etc. Everything looked really good. Only two more weeks before we go back for the ultrasound! Here is what they look for in the second trimester ultrasound:
During your second-trimester ultrasound exam, a doctor or technician will conduct a full inspection of your baby and womb. She'll check the age and growth of your baby, the amniotic fluid level, the structures of your baby's brain and heart and other organs, as well as gather basic information like how many babies you're carrying, says Dr. Natan Haratz-Rubenstein, director of obstetrical and gynecological ultrasound at Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn, New York. The exam, which usually takes under an hour, can detect many structural abnormalities, he says.

We have been given the choice to do a blood test that checks for Down syndrome. Dr. Kinder warned us that there is a possibility of getting a false positive, and that the test is only approximately 86% correct. David and I discussed it, and unless there are abnormalities with the second trimester ultrasound we are electing not to have the test done. We want our baby no matter what happens. I’m praying that Taddy is happy and healthy, but in the case that he or she isn’t we will still love him or her just the same. 

I’ve noticed some pain in my stomach in the past week. I’m guessing it’s from Taddy growing and moving. I think some of it has to do with my stomach stretching, too. Whatever is causing it is painful, but not like cramps. It’s hard to explain. I’m going to talk to Dr. Kinder about it at our next visit. For now, I’m trying to get things accomplished without doing too much. I’ve made good progress on the party plans. I’m excited, and even more anxious over the ultrasound.

I hope all of you have a blessed day!

Love,

Mrs. S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers