34 Weeks!

Dawson's weekly update:

Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. His fat layers – which he'll need to regulate his body temperature once he's born – are filling him out, making him rounder. His skin is also smoother than ever. His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

Dawson is becoming more active by the day. He has secured a preference in music since he is better adapt to hear. I'm not sure where it comes from exactly, but I think it's influenced by his Papaw. He seems to favor country and contemporary Christian music the most. David tried to listed to a pop station yesterday with no avail. I had to change the station due to Dawson's restlessness. It's cute that he's becoming such a big part of our world already. I sing to him in the morning and afternoon. I am in search of books for him. I read in my Parenting magazine (Thanks Dara!) that if you read to your child before birth they will be more prone to recognizing the books once they are born. How cool is that?

Yesterday we made another trip to visit Dr. Kinder. They took my vitals, and he reported even though I've noticed some swelling in my feet that all is well. Dr. Kinder measured my belly, and his eyes grew wide. He exclaimed, "You're growing a good one, girl!" I laughed and let him know that David weighed over 9 pounds when he was born. I really didn't expect for Dawson to be a little baby. We are still set for the week after Thanksgiving. When I go back on November 10 they are going to begin checking my cervix. I'm hoping they will provide me with a more definite day for inducing. David and I are planning on staying in a hotel in Shreveport the night before since we will have to be at the hospital at 5 a.m. Ouch!

We spoke to Dr. Kinder about selecting a pediatrician, and when I mentioned Dr. Cush-John to him he shook his head with an expressionless look on his face. I was somewhat alarmed. He revealed that he knew her quite well, and to my relief that they attended medical school together and served as partners during their rotations in the maternity ward. He said that she didn't really care for taking care of the mothers before the births, so they struck a deal. Dr. Kinder would take care of the mothers, and deliver, then Dr. Cush-John would take care of the babies from there. He said it's many years later and he's still taking care of the mothers while she takes care of the babies. He happily admitted that she also takes care of his children, and he thinks she's wonderful. The bonus (as if that isn't a home run, already) is that her practice is open 7 days a week! Can you believe it??? I can't explain how much of a relief that is. It's another thing I can mark off my list. David and I have a prenatal appointment to meet with her on November 11. I'm pretty excited about it.

This week's goals are to finish going through clothes, and start sorting things to be put into storage from our office, and the other miscellaneous items. I plan to work on Dawson's baby book and thank you cards, also. Sometime this weekend I also need to work on my research paper. Time is dwindling down, and I've got to stay on top of things!

I hope you all have a wonderful week. I plan on posting pictures from the showers tonight! I hope I get it done.

Love,

Mrs. S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers