1/20/12 Monkey Business




Dawson's developmental update:

Whether your toddler's constantly repeating his favorite words or not yet getting out anything you can understand, he's eager to communicate with you. Aside from words, he'll express his desires through sounds, babbling, mimicking, and body gestures (notice how the rhythm of his hand gestures matches his attempts to speak). You may even want to try teaching him a few signs, so he can experience the thrill of getting his point across.

This could not be more on key. Dawson likes to repeat words that we use frequently. His newest words are cup and cold. He enjoys experiencing words like cold because they usually involve a real version of the word, such as ice! Dawson hasn't grasped any signs just yet, but he knows what they mean. He will either make a noise when I ask him what he wants, partnered with a sign, or he will ask me to pick him up (which usually takes place with him tugging on my pant's leg and holding his arms up), and then he will point in the direction I need to go until we zero in on the item(s) he wants.

He is loving the warmer weather we have been having recently, because David and I have been taking him to play at the park. It also means he gets to play outside at daycare, too.

Dawson has started climbing EVERYTHING. One day we couldn't find him in his room, and he had taken all of his toys off of one of his shelves on his bookcase, and got on the shelf. We spotted him when he started giggling (one of his favorite games is hide-n-seek). He always gives himself away because he starts giggling.

Dawson has now learned how to get on our couch, and will act like a squirrel to get to the loveseat. He gets on the arm of the couch, and will shimmy to the edge, and grab onto the loveseat to try to get to the end table where all the things are that he isn't supposed to have (the remote - because he broke the last one; My scentsy warmer; glass coasters). Each time he attempts this feat I nearly have a heart attack! I always run over and grab him and put him back on the floor, but just as with anything else he just starts the process all over again. I have to find fun and inventive ways of redirecting his attention. And as each day passes, this is getting more interesting all together. Usually, I can redirect him by playing basketball with him or legos. :-)

Dawson has acquired another animal trait aside from the squirrel/monkey traits. He has taken on the trait of a chipmunk. He has his own shelf in the pantry area, and it's on his level. Recently he will walk over to it, get a food item or snack, and he proceeds to hide them! I sat back and watched him in the kitchen one day. He grabbed a container of Gerber yogurt, and looked around for a minute. I could practically see the little wheels turning! His eyes locked on the oven, and he bee-lined for it. He opened the broiler drawer, and dropped it in. He carefully shut the drawer and looked around. I suppose to make sure no one was watching him. At this point I quickly turned and acted as if I was washing dishes. It took everything I had not to laugh!! Later that day David came in the living room holding another one of Dawson's snacks, which he found in the laundry sorter!! He had a puzzled look on his face and asked, "How did this get in there???" I said, "I'll give you one guess." David just laughed and asked Dawson, "Son, are you scared someone is going to take your food??" Dawson just replied with a shy grin. I only wish I knew what he was thinking!!

Dawson is so much fun. We have new adventures everyday.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

Love,

Lori

1 comments:

Dara M. said...

I can't believe he hides his food, that cracks me up. Emma used to hoard her food also. I guess she didn't want to share w/ sadie, so she would take tons of food and try and save it. I can't wait to see how big he has gotten. I hope y'all can still make it sometime in Feb. I know you have to redo your thesis though, so I know you will probably be real busy!

Post a Comment

Followers