36 Weeks!

Dawson's weekly update:

Your baby is gaining about an ounce a day. He now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. He's shedding most of the downy hair that covered his body, as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that protected her skin during his nine-month amniotic bath. Next week, your baby will be considered full-term. Most likely he's in a head-down position, but if he isn't, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an external cephalic version, where he'll try to turn your baby by manipulating him from the outside of your belly.

Mommy's weekly update:

I have started noticing Braxton Hicks contractions. These are the "pre-season practices" before the big game! They are sometimes painful, but irregular contractions that help prepare your body for child birth. I only noticed two on Sunday, a couple on Monday, and one today. I had to re-position myself, but shortly after the pain subsided. The difference between these and regular labor pains are that regular labor pains grow more intense and closer together. With Braxton Hicks, some women never notice them at all. Regular labor pains also do not subside no matter what position you're in.

Tomorrow we visit Dr. Kinder for my first cervix check. I am shocked that I only have two weeks left at work before I go out on maternity leave. Tonight I'm packing our bags. I also need to clean a few more things in order to get prepared. I haven't decided which car seat to take to the hospital just yet, but those are the small decisions. I need to pick up a couple of things before Dawson gets here. I plan on doing that sometime next week.

Aside from that, Dawson is growing, and I'm getting slower! I've been trying to sustain my normal amount of activity. I figure not moving around at all cannot be very healthy for either of us. I have to take breaks a little more frequently, but that's no big deal. Dawson enjoys our glider, so every evening I make it a point to spend some time in it. I can imagine how entertaining it is being rocked and moving back and forth in amniotic fluid.

Time is closing in, and I can honestly admit that I'm ready. I'm not scared, just excited.

Love you all,

Lori

1 comments:

Dara M. said...

oh my goodness. i can't believe he is almost here. I am soo excited and CAN NOT wait till he is born. I hope that you will be able to keep up with the blog once he is here so that we can keep updated on him.

Post a Comment

Followers